My name is Maddie, and I am a rockaholic

Hello, my name is Maddie, and I have a teeny tiny little rock addiction.

No. That’s not how it goes.

Hello, my name is Maddie, and I am a rockaholic.

I walk down a beach, and rocks just call out to me, begging for me to pick them up. Much to my husband’s shock, by the time I go home, much of the beach is heading off with me.

I have rocks that I’m passionate about: the heart-shaped purple one that looks as though it might have been manufactured in a heart-rock plant, it’s so perfectly formed–and then there are the perfectly round white ones that look as though they are miniature full moons. I also have one that resembles a rabbit’s head–ears, eyes, and wistful expression. And there’s the layered rock, with different slabs of colors all fused somehow together, as though on purpose. Surely nature didn’t mean for that one to go unadmired by being buried under gobs of sand. I have to bring it along with me, so I can be reminded of it every day. There’s a shiny black one, not truly very interesting until you pick it up and rub it, and then you see that it feels as though it’s already spent some  time in a tumbler–perhaps the cosmic tumbler. I may need that one to stay in my pocket just to remind me that sometimes perfection is right there on the beach.

Naturally I’m always looking for a good writing rock, because  I am constantly looking for muses everywhere–and who knows but a perfectly good muse might be located in a rock on the beach in Provincetown, which is where I happen to be right now. All the writers I know are like baseball players–we’re superstitious about just where the luck might be located. If we always sit in the same spot, put on our lucky T-shirt, and if we always win four games of Spider Solitaire without cheating before turning to our novel, and throw some salt in all the corners of our office,  will we be visited by the Force?

The thing is, we do not know.

Does this rock look like it knows how to summon a muse?

I once had a writing necklace, and–as you might have guessed–it was really a series of rocks tied up with string. I wore it whenever I sat down to write, and that year, I finished my book in record time, my characters all behaved according to my plan, and I thought of writing as a happy, fulfilling occupation more than 50% of the time. Unfortunately, though, the necklace, perhaps thinking that its work was done, disappeared soon after. It didn’t seem to grasp the idea that I was striving to be a CAREER NOVELIST, and would need lots and lots of help in the future.

Perhaps one of the buckets of rocks I have chosen this year will be The One. But just in case, at the swap meet in Wellfleet yesterday, I saw another possible writing necklace. It had just the right vibe: smooth, shiny rocks, flat and symmetrical.

I have to see if these new rocksknow what I should do with my recalcitrant characters, all of whom are currently ganging up on me. And if they don’t–well, then there’s always the bucket of rocks riding around in the trunk of my car.

Connect with Maddie

Get updates from Maddie directly to your inbox!

, , ,

14 Responses to My name is Maddie, and I am a rockaholic

1. Allan Douglas August 21, 2012 at 12:33 pm #

My Dad used to be a rock-a-holic too, only he called himself a rock-hound. He had boxes and boxes of the things that had been collected from all over the world – and we moved them each year as we were reassigned. Some of them he would toss into a lapidary tumbler and polish, some would get shaped and made into rings or pendants or belt buckles for us. My favorite of his collection were the geodes; hollow globes that when cracked open reveal a myriad of purple crystalline shapes. Like you, staring at the amazing shapes sometimes spurred my imagination and the writing juices.

Thanks for sharing, and for rattling loose some great, dusty, memories.

2. Maddie August 21, 2012 at 2:01 pm #

Hi, Allan! I think that rock-hound sounds so much better than rockaholic. I’m going to apply for a change in diagnosis!

Thanks for writing about your dad’s collection. He must have had an understanding family, to be willing to move them along each year. I can barely get my family to agree to bring them off the beach!

3. Holly Robinson August 22, 2012 at 1:23 pm #

Ha! Even more reason for you to visit PEI! When I’m there, I collect rocks as well as sea glass. My favorites are the ones with the stripes around their middles, like little people wearing belts. PEI is also famous for its heart-shaped rocks. My grandfather used to collect rocks–yes, Allan, he was a rock hound–and he would polish them and make them into necklaces for my grandmother. I still have one of those necklaces and wear it.

4. Caryn Caldwell August 22, 2012 at 4:17 pm #

Ha! I was totally expecting you to talk about music here. Which would be appropriate, too, since so many writers need just the right music to make book magic. If you like to rock hound, though, you’d love my area. Lots of fun rocks – geodes, weathered sandstone, and even arrowheads. As for your comment about winning four games of spider solitaire, I had to laugh. I used to have almost the exact same ritual in college when I sat down to write a paper! Then I finally realized it was just my way of procrastinating. Not that it made me stop. Then I just felt guilty the whole time I played solitaire.

5. cars May 17, 2013 at 4:57 pm #

The process of buying a car can be extremely taxing.

Some people might not know a lot about cars,
    but there are others who know too much and constantly feel like they aren’t getting a good deal. You can get the best car at the best price by following this advice.

6. nerd June 27, 2013 at 5:31 am #

This article will help the internet viewers for building up new blog
    or even a blog from start to end.

Here is my weblog – nerd

7. rea May 28, 2014 at 12:57 pm #

I just lioke the valuable info you provide on your articles.

I will bookmark yor blog and take a look at once more here frequently.
    I’m slightly certain I will learn plenty of new stuff proper here!

Best of luck for the next!

8. Ouida July 4, 2014 at 8:53 am #

This content is very informative but it took me a long time to
    find it in google. I found it on 15 spot, you should focus on quality backlinks building, it will help you to increase traffic.

And i know how to help you, just search in google – k2 seo tips

9. Wendi July 25, 2014 at 10:58 am #

It was hard to find your articles in google. I found it on 20 place, you should build some quality backlinks ,
    it will help you to get more visitors. I know how to help you,
    just type in google – k2 seo tricks

10. Ryan August 24, 2014 at 1:58 pm #

I read a lot of interesting content here. Probably you spend a lot of time writing, i know how to save you a lot of time, there is an online
    tool that creates readable, SEO friendly articles in minutes, just type in google – laranitas free content source

11. Lorrie September 1, 2014 at 10:37 am #

I read a lot of interesting articles here. Probably
    you spend a lot of time writing, i know how to save you
    a lot of time, there is an online tool that creates high quality, SEO friendly posts in minutes, just search in google – laranitas free content source

12. Malcolm September 4, 2014 at 4:25 pm #

I think that iss onne of the so mucch significant info
    for me. And i am glad reading your article. But should commentary on few common issues, The site stle is ideal, the articles is iin reality great
    : D. Goood job, cheers

13. Internal Communications audit October 1, 2014 at 2:06 pm #

I know this if ooff topioc buut I’m looking into starting my own blog annd was wondering what all is needed to get setup?

I’m assuming having a blg like yourrs would cost a pretty penny?
    I’m not very internet smart so I’m not 100% sure. Any suggestions or
    dvice would be greatly appreciated. Kudos

14. Monika March 7, 2015 at 5:46 pm #

Hi blogger, i found this post on 23 spot in google’s search results.
    I’m sure that your low rankings are caused by high bounce rate.
    This is very important ranking factor. One of the biggest reason for high
    bounce rate is due to visitors hitting the back button. The higher your bounce rate the further down the search results
    your posts and pages will end up, so having reasonably low bounce rate is important for increasing your rankings naturally.
    There is very useful wordpress plugin which can help you.
    Just search in google for:
    Seyiny’s Bounce Plugin